http://www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_2585e.htm
Cysylltwch â ni trwy’r llyfr ymwelwyr / Contact us via the Visitors’ Book: YMWELFA

0001z Yr Hafan / Main Page
 
...........0010e Y Barthlen / Siteplan
 
.........................2586e Burnley (Lloegr) - y Gyfeirddalen / Burnley (England) - Orientation Page

........................................y tudalen hwn / thus page

baneri
..

 

Gwefan Cymru-Catalonia
La Web de Gal·les i Catalunya


Tudalennau Ianto am Burnley, Lloegr
Ianto’s Pages about Burnley, England

Hen Ffotos o dref Burnley
Old Photos of the town of Burnley


(llun 3219)

 
..........
          
 xxxx Y tudalen hwn yn Gymraeg

 xxxx Aquesta pàgina en català

 
OLD PHOTOS OF BURNLEY
Newspapers cuttings from the Burnley Express in the 1930s, glued into a scrapbook.
The scrapbook was found among my father’s books, and probably belonged to my grandfather Sam Hanna, though here and there in the scrapbook the stamp of the original owner (and compiler?) is to be seen: W.H. Nutter / Grocer and Off-Licence / 39A Oxford Road / Burnley.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

My additional comments are in
orange type. My captions to photos originally uncaptioned or requiring differentiated captions are also in orange type. The scrapbook had the following sequence of photos, which I have numbered:

1 Thorneybank Station / 2 Lodge, Barden Lane / 3 Danes House / 4 Bank House / 5 Canal Cottages, Colne Road / 6 The Gothic Houses / 7 Old Gothic Houses, Church Street / 8 The Grammar School, 1872 / 9 Masters and Pupils of Burnley Grammar School, 1865 / 10 St. Peter’s Church 1855 / 11 St. Peter’s Church - west end / 12 St. Peter’s Church - east end / 13 St. Peter’s Church / 14 Shorey Green / 15 Shorey Well 1 / 16 Shorey Well 2 / 17 The Old Sparrow Hawk / 18 A bit of The Top o’ t’ Town / 19 Talbot Inn and Talbot Lane / 20 Godly Lane / 21 Church Street / 22 Summer’s Shop / 23 Blucher Street / 24 Top of Hall Rake and Hall Inn / 25 The White House / 26 The Centre / 27 The Centre, 1854 / 28 The Old Red Lion / 29 Th’ Black Hoil / 30 The Bull Corner / 31 The Mason’s Arms / 32 The Royal Oak / 33 Goodham Hill, About 1881 / 34 The Cross Keys / 35 Orchard Bridge / 36 Bridge End Brewery 1 / 37 Bridge End Brewery 2 / 38 The Sun Inn / 39 William Milner Grant / 40 Carlton Road School / 41 Wapping / 42 The Courthouse / 43 Bank Top Station / 44 The Yorkshire Hotel / 45 The Culvert / 46 Cooper’s Farm / 47 Bobby Knox’s House / 48 The Towneley School / 49 The Hollins / 50 Foxstones / 51 Extwistle Hall / 52 Worsthorne Old Hall / 53 The Towneley Gate / 54 Towneley / 55 The Holme / 56 The Turn-Bridge / 57 Hollin Greave / 58 Healey Hall / 59 Traycle Row / 60 Blind Lane Cottages / 61 St. Matthew’s / 62 The Tim Bobbin / 63 Pendle Hall / 64 Old Laund / 65 Roughlee Hall / 66 (Burnley Express April 20 1963 - Have you noticed? / 67 loose photo - Gothic Houses / 68 loose photo - unknown / 69 loose photo - unknown / 70 loose photo - unknown / 71 loose photo - unknown / 72 loose photo - unknown


(llun 3892) 

________________________________________

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3230)  **

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3230_nutter_01_thorneybank_300dpi_061029_3007e.htm


1
Thorneybank Station
Few Burnley people can remember the days when Manchester-road Station was known as Thorneybank Station, but the accompanying photograph indicates that little change has taken place since the days of our grandparents. True, the costumes of the sightseers in the picture have changed, and the “ Diomed “ engine has given place to larger and more powerful engines, but the covered platform and offices retain the same familiarity. The picture, submitted by Mr. Charles Nelson, of 12, Lawn-street, Burnley, was taken about 1850, shortly after the station was opened and had secured its name from Thorneybank-street.
Express Block.

_________________________________________

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3231)  **

2 Lodge, Barden Lane

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3231_nutter_02_lodge_barden_lane_300dpi_061029_3008e.htm


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3232)  **

3 Danes House

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3232_nutter_03_danes_house_300dpi_061029_3009e.htm


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3233)  **
 
4
Bank House
The old Mansion, pulled down nineteen years ago, contained but little of the original structure erected before 1500. The projection at the rear was built before 1680; the part facing Curzon Street soon after its purchase for St. Peter’s Church in 1732. For well over 100 years it was used as a residence for the Clergy of the Parish Church, superseding the old Parsonage in Massey Street. Our photograph was taken whilst it was in the occupation of the late Mr. (forename illegible) Shackleton

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3233_nutter_04_bank_house_300dpi_061029_3010e.htm



_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
 (llun 3234)  **
 
5
Canal Cottages, Colne Road

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3234_nutter_05_canal_cottages_300dpi_061029_3011e.htm


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3235)  **
 
6
The Gothic Houses in Fenkel Street were built by Colonel John Hargreaves for the use of his retainees, chiefly married upper servants at Bank Hall.

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3235_nutter_06_gothic_houses_300dpi_061029_3012e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3236)  **

7
Old Gothic Houses, Church Street
by kind permission of Alderman Thornber J. P. Clitheroe

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3236_nutter_07_old_gothic_houses_300dpi_061029_3013e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
 (llun 3237)  **

8
Burnley Grammar School, 1872

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3237_nutter_08_grammar_school_300dpi_061029_3014e.htm

 
_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3238)  **

9 Masters and Pupils of Burnley Grammar School, 1865

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3238_nutter_09_grammar_school_pupils_300dpi_061029_3015e.htm

BOTTOM ROW: Edmund Pollard; Edward Rawlinson; Horace Hey; ---- Willis; Unknown;

---- Crabtree; John Appleyard Heaton; Edwin Arthur Heaton; Walter Slater; Benjamin Berry; Arthur Coultate; John Edward Temple.

SECOND ROW: Henry Arthur Sherburn; Walter Southern; Harry Bulcock; Robert Tunstill; Three boys not identified; James Bulcock; Thirkell Anningson; Unknown; Robert Temple; Matthew Birkett; Philip Southern.

THIRD ROW: Thomas Henry Knowles; William Pollitt; Robert James Smith; Unknown; ---- Lever; William Berry; John Hargreaves Greenwood; James Lee; Richard. Rothwell; Humphrey Waddington.

FOURTH ROW: Unknown; ---- Tunstill; James Ormerod; James Hoyle Foden; ---- Sutcliffe; William Ramsbottom; Hartley Jackson; Ben Sagar; Harry Tunstill.

FIFTH ROW: W.H.Nutter; Peter Wright Pickup; Lawrence Cadwalader Evans*; William Thirkell; Vere Alban Butler; Andrew Herbert Ogle; Robert Hartley.

Through googling “Cadwalader Evans” I found this request:


http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/EVANS/2005-03/1111167360.htm


18 March 2005: I’m looking for information on Richard Evans. Richard was a Baptist minister in Burnley Lancashire, UK. circa 1830-1860. He had a son Lawrence Cadwalader Evans (1851-?) who was a cloth merchant.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

(llun 3893)  **

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3893_nutter_09_grammar_school_pupils_rhifau_300dpi_061029_3080e.htm

The same photo with the faces numbered

FIFTH ROW:
1 W.H.Nutter;
2 Peter Wright Pickup;
3 Lawrence Cadwalader Evans*;
4 William Thirkell;
5 Vere Alban Butler;
6 Andrew Herbert Ogle;
7 Robert Hartley.

 

FOURTH ROW:
1 Unknown;
2 ---- Tunstill;
3 James Ormerod;
4 James Hoyle Foden;
5 ---- Sutcliffe;
6 William Ramsbottom;
7 Hartley Jackson;
8 Ben Sagar;
9 Harry Tunstill.

THIRD ROW:
1 Thomas Henry Knowles;
2 William Pollitt;
3 Robert James Smith;
4 Unknown;
5 ---- Lever;
6 William Berry;
7 John Hargreaves Greenwood;
8 James Lee;
9 Richard. Rothwell;
10 Humphrey Waddington.
 

SECOND ROW:
1 Henry Arthur Sherburn;
2 Walter Southern;
3 Harry Bulcock;
4 Robert Tunstill;
5 6 7 Three boys not identified;
8 James Bulcock;
9 Thirkell Anningson;
10 Unknown;
11 Robert Temple;
12 Matthew Birkett;
13 Philip Southern.

BOTTOM ROW:
1 Edmund Pollard;
2 Edward Rawlinson;
3 Horace Hey;
4 ---- Willis;
5 Unknown;
6 ---- Crabtree;
7 John Appleyard Heaton;
8 Edwin Arthur Heaton;
9 Walter Slater;
10 Benjamin Berry;
11 Arthur Coultate;
12 John Edward Temple.


_________________________________________

 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3239)  **

10
St. Peter’s Church 1855

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3239_nutter_10_st_peters_church_1855_300dpi_061029_3016e.htm


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3240)  **
 
11
St. Peter’s Church - west end
St. Peter’s Church was extensively restored and re-roofed during the incumbency of the Rev. Robert Mosley naster, M.A. This engraving shows the West end of the Church before restoration. It is taken from the Drawing by Archdeacon Master, made about 1854, and published in Wilkinson’s History of the Church in 1856.

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3240_nutter_11_st_peters_church_west_end_300dpi_061029_3017e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3241)  **

12
St. Peter’s Church - east end
St. Peter’s Church was extensively restored and re-roofed during the incumbency of the Rev. Robert Mosley naster, M.A. This engraving shows the West end of the Church before restoration. It is taken from the Drawing by Archdeacon Master, made about 1854, and published in Wilkinson’s History of the Church in 1856.

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3241_nutter_12_st_peters_church_east_end_300dpi_061029_3018e.htm


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3242)  **

13
St. Peter’s Church

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3242_nutter_13_st_peters_church_300dpi_061029_3019e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3243)  **
 
14
Shorey Green has gone, and with it all memories of the festivals that must have been held thereon. For there were Bride-ales and Church-ales and Whitsun Ales in Burnley as matter of record, and doubtess other unrecorded merry-makings. And where else would these be held in fine weather but on Shorey Green!

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3243_nutter_14_shorey_green_300dpi_061029_3020e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3244)  **

15
Shorey Well 1
Shorey Well supplied the Top o’ th’ Town with water from time immemorial, and was so far identified with Burnley that the rallying cry of local Tories was “Church and Shorey.” The stonework of this ancient well is now preserved in Cockpit Wood, between the Cannons and the Grammar School.

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3244_nutter_15_shorey_well_1_300dpi_061029_3021e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3245)  **
 
16
Shorey Well 2
Shorey Well, fed from a never-failing Spring, for centuries supplied the Top o’ t’ Town with drinking water, and was so far identified with the district that the Tory Slogan in all Election Fights was “ Church and Shorey.” As this is the only existing view which gives a detailed view of the Well and its approach, Messrs. Massey venture to think that it will be welcome to many Burnley people of the older generation.

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3245_nutter_16_shorey_well_2_300dpi_061029_3022e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3246)  **

17
The Old Sparrow Hawk and Market Place.

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3246_nutter_17_the_old_sparrowhawk300dpi_061029_3023e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3247)  **
 
18
A bit of The Top o’ t’ Town
Photo by the late B. Cowgill
By courtesy of Dr. H. J. Robinson

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3247_nutter_18_top_o_t_town_300dpi_061029_3024e.htm


_________________________________________

 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3248)  **
 
19
Talbot Inn and Talbot Lane

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3248_nutter_19_talbot_inn_300dpi_061029_3025e.htm


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3249)  **
 
20
Godly Lane is shown on the photograph, with the houses at the bottom, dating from the late XVI century, which were pulled down (rest of caption missing)

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3249_nutter_20_godly_lane_300dpi_061029_3026e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3250)  **
 
21
Church Street
These old Houses were built in the middle of the XVII Century, the Quoin with the date on it being removed from an earlier building which might not have occupied this site, and which was built in 1597, the thirty-ninth year of Queen Elizabeth’s reign. Beyond the fact that they are well over 250 years old these Houses have no recorded History.

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3250_nutter_21_church_street_300dpi_061029_3027e.htm

 


_________________________________________

 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3251)  **

22
Summer’s Shop was a landmark forty-five years ago. It stood just past the White House, in Church Street, one of the very few places which preserved the pent-house roof over the front where the stock was displayed. Of Mrs. Alice Summers’ son many stories could be told.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3251_nutter_22_summers_shop_300dpi_061029_3028e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3252)  **
 
23
Blucher Street

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3252_nutter_23_blucher_street_300dpi_061029_3029e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3253)  **
 
24
Top of Hall Rake and Hall Inn
By kind permission of Alderman J. Thornber J. P. Clitheroe

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3253_nutter_24_top_of_hall_rake_300dpi_061029_3030e.htm

 


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
 (llun 3254)  **
 
25
The White House Church Street, was built as a residence for the Perpetual Curate of St. Peter’s, after the Parsonage in Massey Street and Old Bank House had been abandoned. The Rev. John Raws lived here until he built his house in Bank Parade. Later, the building found various uses. In 1890, when the photograph was taken, the first place on the left hand had recently been occupied by Sir. H. Gibson, auctioneer, whose sign remained over the window. The next door was the Good Templar’s Hall, then came Mr. S. C. Nothard’s Dining Rooms, a little house entered from the ginnel, long occupied by the town Bellman, at the time it was used by Mrs. Alice Summers, greengrocer, who also sold fish next door.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3254_nutter_25_the_white_house_300dpi_061029_3031e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
(llun 3844)  **
 
26
The Centre about 1895. Commencing from the left are seen the “Gaumless,” officially “ The Obelisk,” the “Golden Boot”, then kept by Mr. Elias Dunkerley, the Tram Office, Thomas Baines’ new premises, Cowgill & Smith’s, Slater’s Shoe Shop, a Confectioner’s, (was it Redford’s?) and Harkers’ tin-shop. Next comes Munn’s Corner, with Boston’s and Cryer’s shops just discernible. On the other side, the tall building in the distance (still standing} was Harrison’s Grocery Store. Next in the low white building came Whalley, the barber, whose son became a jockey of repute. The rest of this block is the old Boot Inn. The White Lion and the shops forward to Boston’s Brush Shop are almost obscured. Then come MacEvoy, the tailor, the Clock Face, Bonn’s Leather Shop, and Eastwood’s Music Shop.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3844_nutter_26_the_centre_300dpi_061029_3032e.htm

 


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3845)  **
 
27
The Centre, 1854. This View, taken from an old lithograph, shows how little the place has altered in 76 years. On the right, none of the buildings seen have been pulled down except the one just past the Thorn, now known as “The Blue Clock.” To the left, the only ones re­built, until the projecting block is reached that was pulled down for St. James’s Hall, are three licensed houses, the “Red Lion,” “Bay Horse,” and “Mason’s Arms.”

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3845_nutter_27_the_centre_1854_300dpi_061029_3033e.htm



_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3846)  **
 
28
The Old Red Lion stood only 23 feet from the Bull, for which reason it was pulled down* more than sixty years ago. It was once kept by James Pate, whose four-horse stage-waggon long formed the chief means of carrying goods to and from Manchester, taking a full day for the journey each way.
*Demolished in 1868 according to A SKETCH OF BURNLEY SEVENTY YEARS AGO / JAMES GRANT / December 6th, 1887.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3846_nutter_28_the_old_red_lion_300dpi_061029_3034e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3847)  **
 
29
Th’ Black Hoil* was a two-storey building in which the Parish Constable of a hundred years ago confined evildoers, the females being accommodated on the upper floor. Those were days when one Constable and one Parson served Burnley very well. Later, the building was made lower and put to uses as shown, but to the end it retained certain clumsy iron staples in rear walls, relics of its original use.
*the black hole

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3847_nutter_29_th_black_oil_300dpi_061029_3035e.htm

_________________________________________

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3848)  **
 
30
The Bull Corner and Old Red Lion

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3848_nutter_30_the_bull_corner_300dpi_061029_3036e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3849)  **
 
31
The Mason’s Arms was built almost exactly one hundred years ago. In it three generations of the Allen family made competences before retiring to their native Huncoat.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3849_nutter_31_the_masons_arms_300dpi_061029_3037e.htm

 


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3850)  **
 
32
The Royal Oak whose bowed front dates from the time of George III, was originally built as a private residence, but has been licensed for about 80 years. No less eminent an architect than Sir Edwin Lutyens, has declared it to be the best-designed building in Burnley.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3850_nutter_32_the_royal_oak_300dpi_061029_3038e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3851)  **
 
33
Goodham Hill, About 1881
Negative by the late R. Cowgill
By courtesy of the Library and Science Club.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3851_nutter_33_goodham_hill_300dpi_061029_3039e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3852)  **
 
34
The Cross Keys were St. Peter’s emblem. The Old Cross Keys was built by the incumbent of the Old Church on church land. In the distance can he seen Winn Hill and the bottom of Sandygate, where the corner house was for many years a toll-bar. It had a gate controlling Padiham Road and a chain across Sandygate, which was but little used by vehicles after the formation of Manchester Road.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3852_nutter_34_the_cross_keys_300dpi_061029_3040e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3853)  **
 
35
Orchard Bridge and Union Street from Calder Vale Road. The Cottages shown are fair examples of the structures built about a hundred years ago, by the early Cotton Manu­facturers, for the accommodation of their “Hands.”

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3853_nutter_35_orchard_bridge_300dpi_061029_3041e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3854)  **
 
36
Bridge End Brewery 1
Bridge End Brewery,
whilst not so ancient as the Old Brewery, established at Swallow Hall before 1740, has been a Brewery for more than 150 years. The land on which it stands was formerly the Orchard and Home Pasture belonging to Calder Vale House. A ruinous barn at least three hundred years old was pulled down to make room for the new Offices on the right of the picture. This photograph was taken about 1862.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3854_nutter_36_bridge_end_brewery_1_300dpi_061029_3042e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3855)  **

37
Bridge End Brewery 2
Bridge End Brewery. This view, taken from a rare contemporary lithograph, shows the place as it appeared about 1830, when the style of the Firm was Massey and Bentley. The Fashion in horse-collars is worth noting, as also the fact that Westgate was then a road so rural that grass grew in it. The building in the foreground is still in use, though concealed by subsequent additions. Its position may be fixed by the archway.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3855_nutter_37_bridge_end_brewery_2_300dpi_061029_3043e.htm


_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3856)  **
 
38
The Sun Inn was built about 120 years ago by James Veevers, for many years being kept as a “town house” and used by those tradesmen to whom the bustle and noise of the coaching inns, where all service was liable to be withdrawn for an hour or so on the arrival of a coach, was distasteful.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3856_nutter_38_the_sun_inn_300dpi_061029_3044e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3857)  **
 
39
William Milner Grant, C.M., founder of Carlton Road School, 1861.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3857_nutter_39_william_milner_grant_300dpi_061029_3045e.htm


_________________________________________

 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3858)  **
 
40
Carlton Road School

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3858_nutter_40_carlton_road_school_300dpi_061029_3046e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3859)  **

41
Wapping which is built upon the site of Burnley Green, has changed much of late years. In the engraving, the white building is Harrison’s Tallow Chandlery, of fragrant memory. Nearer is enn the corner of the “King’s Arms” Vault, where, in haytime, the fights were free for all. In the low building past Harrison’s Tommy Ross sold groceries seven days a week. Beyond that is the “Black Dog”, long kept by Joe Myers, and the “Gazette” Printing Office. In the dark building on the extreme right Tommy Room made clogirons.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3859_nutter_41_wapping_300dpi_061029_3047e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3860)  **
 
42
The Courthouse, Keighley Green, was built for a Wesleyan Chapel and Sunday School in 1788-89, when Burnley was “a populous little market town” of fewer than 2,000 inhabitants, and was so used until 1852, in which year the premises were sold to the County Magistrates for use as a Police Station and Court-house. In this use the building continued for about 60 years, the court-room being frequently lent for public meetings, concerts, and oratorios during the early part of this time.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3860_nutter_42_the_courthouse_300dpi_061029_3048e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3861)  **
 
43
Bank Top Station. This photograph, taken in 1869, shows the Station substantially as it was when built some twenty years earlier. The buildings on the right still form part of those on the “up” platform.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3861_nutter_43_bank_top_station_300dpi_061029_3049e.htm

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
 (llun 3862)  **
 
44
The Yorkshire Hotel was originally the residence of the Foulds family (who later built Rishton Mill) with a garden in front, whose extent is still shown by the paving in front. Later, the officers of various detachments quartered at Lane Bridge Barracks lived here, amongst whom was Captain James Yorke Scarlett, of the the Dragoon Guards, who wooed and won Miss Caroline Hargreaves of Bank Hall.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3862_nutter_44_the_yorkshire_hotel_300dpi_061029_3050e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3863)  **
 
45
The Culvert was built in 1796-7.For nearly a hundred years it remained without substantial change, wide enough for both carts and foot passengers, and for each end to be obstructed by a gas-lamp. About 1890, two foot-ways, profanely termed “gimlet-holes” were made through the abutments, and the whole was replaced by a concrete structure in 1926. Through the arch a part of the old Yorkshire Hotel is seen.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3863_nutter_45_the_culvert_300dpi_061029_3051e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
 (llun 3864)  **
 
46
Cooper’s Farm was very near the Canal, where Park Shed is now. It was a fair example of the farm-steads built during the enclosures of common lands towards the end of the XVIII Century.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3864_nutter_46_coopers_farm_300dpi_061029_3052e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3865)  **

47
Bobby Knox’s House, so-called from Police-Constable Knox of the County Police who long inhabited it whilst in special duty for “The Exors”, was in Ridge Road. The site now forms part of Queen’s Park, and the only relic of the House now remaining are two fine ash-trees that once stood in the forecourt of the cottage

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3865_nutter_47_bobby_knoxs_house_300dpi_061029_3053

e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
(llun 3866)  **

48
The Towneley School  in Todmorden Road was built in 1849 from a design by Pugin. In 1854-55 the Pupils were transferred to new premises adjoining St. Mary’s Church, and the building was put to base uses for about fifty years.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3866_nutter_48_the_towneley_school_300dpi_061029_3054e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3867)  **
 
49
The Hollins for twenty years the home of Philip Gilbert Hamerton.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3867_nutter_49_the_hollins_300dpi_061029_3055e.htm

 



_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
 (llun 3868)  **
 
50
Foxstones

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3868_nutter_50_foxstones_300dpi_061029_3056e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
 (llun 3869)  **

51
Extwistle Hall was built by John Parker, circa 1580, the rear wing being added in 1637-38. In its prime Exwistle paid tax on 11 hearths, a number only equalled by Towneley in this part of the Blackburn Hundred. Soon after an explosion in 1717 the Parkers migrated to Cuerden, and for some 200 years the old mansion has been occupied as a moor-side farm.

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3869_nutter_51_extwistle_hall_300dpi_061029_3057e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
 (llun 3870)  **

52
Worsthorne Old Hall has little recorded history. Built in 1638 by Robert Halstead, one of the Rowley family, and Elisabeth his wife, it became more and more ruinous, the ground beneath being mined, until in 1893 it was taken down. Hamerton, who knew the place well, makes repeated references to it as the most complete and harmonious house of the type he ever saw, and “used to think that if ever I built a house I should like to have Worsthorne Hall simply copied in stone of its own size.”

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3870_nutter_52_worsthorne_old_hall_300dpi_061029_3058e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
 (llun 3871)  **
 
53
The Towneley Gate was built little more than a century back, as part of fhe extensive works undertaken by Mr. Peregrine Towneley when he came into the Estate. As one of the very few buildings in the town which are not wholly utilitarian in aim, this effectively-grouped bit of sham-Gothic has been loved by four generations of Burnley People.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3871_nutter_53_the_towneley_gate_300dpi_061029_3059e.htm



_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3872)  **
 
54
Towneley was the recorded home of Towneleys and their ancestors for nearly a thousand years, before it was purchased bv the Corporation in 1901. Parts of the internal walls are of XIV Century workmanship, but nothing visible and above ground is much over three hundred years old. Most of the front shown in our view is the work of Bonomi, done about 130 years ago.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3872_nutter_54_towneley_300dpi_061029_3060e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
 (llun 3873)  **
 
55
The Holme

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3873_nutter_55_the_holme_300dpi_061029_3061e.htm



_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3874)  **
 
56
The Turn-Bridge at Finsley dates from the year 1797. After nearly ninety years of use, the present Bridge, which goes under the old name, was built in 1885, during the Mayoralty of Alderman John Baron. Our Photograph also shows the “Dockyard” adjoining, where for well over a century the Company’s Barges were built.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3874_nutter_56_the_turn_bridge_300dpi_061029_3062e.htm

_________________________________________

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3875)  **
 
57
Hollin Greave was for about a hundred years the abode of the Parkinsons who owned a considerable portion of Burnley Wood. The house has little recorded history, and the family which once owned it now lives at a distance, their presence only recorded by the two names Hollingreave Road and Parkinson Street.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3875_nutter_57_hollin_greave_300dpi_061029_3063e.htm

 

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3876)  **

58
Healey Hall has no history, nor does it achieve more than the barest meniion in local topography. At the time this photograph was taken it was the residence of Mr. John Sellers, an early Cotto» Manufacturer, who was one of the founders of Salem Chapel.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3876_nutter_58_healey_hall_300dpi_061029_3064e.htm

 

_________________________________________

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3877)  **

59
Traycle Row was actually to the north of the cottages here shown, and is now pulled down. These houses were a continuation of the famous Row, which derived its name from the fact that, as it was more costly than the builder anticipated, he lived on bread-and-treacle until it was cleared. They are good examples of the snug solid cottages that were built about a hundred years ago.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3877_nutter_59_traycle_row_300dpi_061029_3065e.htm

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3878)  **
 
60
Blind Lane Cottages used to be in Coal Clough Lane, at the foot of Blind Lane, which led across the fields to a point nearly opposite St. Matthew’s Church.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3878_nutter_60_blind_lane_cottages_300dpi_061029_3066e.htm

 

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3879)  **
 
61
St. Matthew’s. This is a comparatively modern photograph showing the Church, then quite newly-built, and the top of Blind Lane.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3879_nutter_61_st_matthews_300dpi_061029_3067e.htm



_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3880)  **
 
62
The Tim Bobbin was built in the early 1820’s when the turnpike road to Padiham was made, chiefly as a measure of relief for the starving weavers. In the century that has passed it has grown from a carter’s “House of Call” to the chief hostelry in the West End of the Town.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3880_nutter_62_the_tim_bobbin_300dpi_061029_3068e.htm

 

_________________________________________


 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3881)  **
 
63
Pendle Hall is now a spruce modern Farm-house just across the new Bridge at the foot of Ightenhill Park Lane, this replacing the house here shown in 1882. The doorway shown had characteristic, perhaps unique, decorations on the soffit*, and the interiro was rich in linen-fold panelling, besides possessing many finely-carved oak beams. The woodwork was removed to Huntroyde.

soffit = exposed underside of part of building, such as an arch, staircase, etc.

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3881_nutter_63_pendle_hall_300dpi_061029_3069e.htm

 

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3882)  **
 
64
Old Laund stands on the very verge of Pendle Forest, in its time a comely and dignified House built by a rich copyholder. History it has none. Hartleys, Emmots and others have lived here in complete obscurity, only disturbed by marriages and the like, or the call to join in repelling Scots invaders, who sometimes ravaged as far south as Skipton.

(Wikipedia 2006-10-30: At its origin in medieval England, Copyhold tenure was tenure of land according to the custom of the manor, the “title deeds” being a copy of the record of the manor court. Copyholds were gradually enfranchised - turned into ordinary holdings of land, either freehold or 999-year leasehold - during the 1800s. Legislation in the 1920s finally extinguished the last of them.)

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3882_nutter_64_old_laund_300dpi_061029_3070e.htm

 

_________________________________________

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3883)  **
 
65
Roughlee Hall (The Witch’s House)

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3883_nutter_65_roughlee_hall_300dpi_061029_3071e.htm

 

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us       
(llun 3884)  **
 
66 Burnley Express April 20 1963 - Have you noticed?

How well do you know your Burnley? Or, perhaps in the case of these pictures, the question should be, how observant are you?

The places and figures shown here are all in prominent places in the town, and are probably passed without a thought by hundreds of people each day.

The full-length statue, for instance, is passed by thousands every time there is a football match at Turf Moor. And people who travel along Colne-road pass close to three of the subjects shown here.

Can you pinpoint the exact location of all six? It you think you can, take a look the next time you are passing and see whether they are in exactly the same place as you think. If not, turn to Page 5 for the key to their location.

(In the cutting only four are shown. The key is not included)

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3884_nutter_66_www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_express_630420_300dpi_061029_3072e.htm

 


_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3885)  **
 
67 loose photo - Gothic Houses

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3885_nutter_67_gothic_houses_300dpi_061029_3073e.htm

 

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3886)  **
 
68 loose photo - unknown building

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3886_nutter_68_unknown_ruined_house_300dpi_061029_3074e.htm

 

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  
(llun 3887)  **
 
69 loose photo - unknown building

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3887_nutter_69_unknown_town_house_300dpi_061029_3075e.htm

 

_________________________________________

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
(llun 3888)  **
 
70 loose photo - unknown building

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3888_nutter_70_unknown_stone_house_300dpi_061029_3076e.htm

 

_________________________________________


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
(llun 3889)  **

71 loose photo - unknown building

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3889_nutter_71_unknown_terraced_houses_300dpi_061029_3077e.htm

 

_________________________________________

 
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
(llun 3890)  **

72 loose photo - unknown building

 

 

www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3890_nutter_72_unknown_white_house_300dpi_061029_3078e.htm

 


_________________________________________


 
www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_burnley/burnley_llyfr_lloffion_3891_nutter_72_stamp_300dpi_061029_3079e2.htm

Ble’r wyf i? Yr ych chi’n ymwéld ag un o dudalennau’r Gwefan “CYMRU-CATALONIA”
On sóc? Esteu visitant una pàgina de la Web “CYMRU-CATALONIA”
(= Gal·les-Catalunya)
Where am I? You are visiting a page from the “CYMRU-CATALONIA” (= Wales-Catalonia) Website
Weø(r) àm ai? Yùu àa(r) víziting ø peij frøm dhø “CYMRU-CATALONIA”
(= Weilz-Katølóuniø) Wébsait

CYMRU-CATALONIA

 

Adolygiad diweddaraf / darrera actualització / latest update: 2008-09-27, 2006-10-31

diwedd / fi